Monday, September 17, 2012

Birth Story

It has taken me a while to sit down and write about Cole's birth-day, I never realized how much work newborns are and how it really is THAT hard to find time to do simple things. But here goes the long detailed version:

I was 4 days over due, feeling like I would be pregnant for the rest of my life. Chad and I spent everyday that I was late out at the beach walking around as much as possible, and enjoying our last few days of it being just the two of us. On Thursday September 6th I had a Doctors appt, I had dilated to a 2 at this point and we planned to be induced sometime the next week. Unfortunately we didn't have a date because the hospital was already full so we were put on a waiting list.

After that Chad and I met up with my mom, sisters Alyssa and McKenna and my grandparents in Seal Beach for lunch and to say good-bye to Alyssa since she was flying back to Utah that day. We had joked about how Cole would come the day after she left. Chad even told me to sleep with a trash bag under me because my water was going to break, since he had a couple work meetings on Friday he said he thought it would happen then.

We go to bed Thursday night, I woke up a few times in the night and just had a "funny" feeling like it really could happen. At 6:45 am I had this thought/dream/feeling that my water was about to break. I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom, and sure enough by the time I got to the bathroom my water had broke. I yelled to Chad that it broke and he bolted out of bed as well. We both couldn't believe that it was really happening. I called my mom and told her right away and asked what she thought I should do, since I wasn't having contractions at this point she said to take my time and eat something before going in to the hospital. So I took a shower, did my makeup and hair and had a breakfast drink. Chad emailed his clients and told him he wouldn't make it to his meetings and he got ready as well. It was such a relaxing and fun morning. We had music on and were just so excited to meet our little man!

I started having contractions and called my Doctor at 9:00 AM. They said head over to the hospital and check in. By the time we really packed up and checked into the hospital it was 10:00, contractions were a bit stronger but only about 10 minutes apart. One of the nurses came in and checked me and said I was still at a 2, and she also said when she felt up there she felt something soft, and not hard, which is an indication that he could be breached. They had the doctor on staff come in and do an ultra sound and sure enough, Cole had flipped sometime between my Dr. Appt on Thursday and Friday morning. I'm pretty sure it was Thursday night because my stomach looked so weird and I felt really uncomfortable for a few minutes.

With that news I knew I was going to have a c-section, my worst nightmare! I tried to act like it was no big deal, but after 2 minutes of that I began to sob and shake uncontrollably. The anesthesiologist Dr. Huang came in and explained what he was going to do. Chad was there by my side telling me it would be OK and calling our family to let them know that this baby would be here within an hour. I walked to the OR room, was prepped for surgery and then they let Chad come in. I couldn't believe how calm all the doctors were, they were chatting like they were eating lunch, they had music on and really created a calming environment for us. After 10 minutes of surgery we heard Cole cry for the very first time. That has to be one of the best moments of my entire life, we cried the instant we heard him, so grateful to have a healthy baby! Chad went and cut his cord and then brought him over to me. We stared at him, gave him kisses and told him how much we already loved him. After about 10 minutes Chad and Cole went to the nursery to get his first bath, and I had to finish getting sewed up.

About 1 1/2 hours later I was reunited with my sweet baby and husband. I loved being able to nurse him for the first time, and was so proud that he latched on immediately. Both of our families that live nearby were all there by the time Cole went to the nursery, we were so blessed to have our families support and love during this scary and exciting time for us.

Having a c-section was definitely not part of the plan, I wanted that birthing experience so bad (with an epidural of course), but I am grateful for the doctors and nurses that were able to recognize so early on that having a c-section was the best choice for a safe arrival. I am also grateful I didn't have to endure any painful laboring for hours and then being told I would have a c-section, it really worked out perfect looking back. Recovery is a little slower after having a c-section, but I am already feeling so much better and hope to be back up and at it very soon.

I couldn't have done this without my loving husband. Those that know Chad know he does not like hospitals, and seeing blood and all that goes with a labor was something he was worried about getting through. But never once did he look worried or look like he couldn't handle it. He held my hand the whole time, told me how much he loved me and how he was so proud of me for everything I was doing to get our son here safely. I never knew I could love him more than I already did, but seeing him as a dad is about as good as it gets.

Checking into the hospital

Only minutes old

Chad wheeling him into see me in the recovery room. I love my Dad's face here.

My little brother is so excited to be a 6 year old uncle to Cole.

Cha'd's parents holding Cole for the 1st time

My parents with their first grandchild

The Proudest Dad and his mini me

Aunty Kenna

My grandparents who are now Great-Grandparents!

Showing Cole off to his friends Nate and Barry

Chad gave me this necklace as a push present. It has Cole's (and Chad's) initials engraved on it

Our 1st family picture

Leaving the hospital

He loves his carseat



Catherine said...

So beautiful. I may have teared up a little reading this. Love you guys. XO.

Wendy Ferguson said...

What a beautiful family you have! You will always remember this day. Thanks for sharing. :) xo

Rhonda said...

Whitney, I thought your Bro. Dave had been the first w/ granbabe, you see how out of the loop I am. love the pics and you. Rhonda Sheets

Shana Smith said...

I love birth stories. I always manage to get all sorts of teared up, such a sacred experience! He is one handsome guy, and I LOVE that necklace, its darling. Ive never heard of a PUSH necklace. I might have to give little hints to my hubs for babe #3, whenever that time may be:) Anyway, congrats! Ya'll are one GREAT looking couple, and you are making the rest of the Before/during/and after "ugly" Moms look even worse.. You look FAB:)

Lindsay Rondo said...

congrats! what a sweet story! That's crazy the baby had turned around so close to end! such a cute little baby! Glad you are all safe and sound. :) Congrats again new mama!

Kayley said...

I'm so glad you shared this!! I'm so proud of you!!! He is just perfect. Love you guys!!!

Erica said...

I totally cried reading this. I am such a mom! So crazy what unexpected things happen during childbirth. I am so happy for you and I loved you pictures. The one of Kenna, the first family photo and the black and white of the two you. Well and your parents just look so happy! I miss them! And you! Glad all is going well. He is darling!

Steph said...

Girl you are gorgeous! I am so impressed with your positive outlook on the whole situation. I on the other hand thought the entire process was awful! Haha! Cole is so adorable and I can tell with that little amount of hair he will be a blondie just like his parents! Thanks for taking the time to type this up so we could read it. No task is simple anymore!