Monday, February 13, 2012

Sunday Morning Crepes

.
 

 


It was a tradition when I was younger that my dad would make "Peach Crepes" (the only thing he knew how to cook) on special occasions. i.e Mothers Day, Mom's birthday, and conference Sundays. 4 times a year was standard, if it was more than 4 than we thought we were lucky kiddos. I've continued the tradition as I got married, although we will come up with an excuse to make a Sunday special to cook up the crepes.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 egg
2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
pinch salt

Directions
1. Beat melted butter and egg, then add in the milk and vanilla
2. Combine the dry ingredients, (if you have time sift flour)
3. Gradually add in the dry ingredients to the wet and beat until smooth.
4. The consistency shouldn't be to thick, or too runny (how's that for a description)
5. Melt butter over medium heat, pour about 1/4 - 1/3 c batter and twirl the pan so it is even.
6. When the crepe begins to have little bubbles appear, flip and cook on the other side (Chad always does this part because I end up burning my fingers)

The fun part is the topping/filling, really it is up to what you like. Growing up we ALWAYS had frozen whip cream, chocolate pudding, and warm peaches. Now Chad and I mix it up and will do strawberries and/or bananas and Nutella, powdered sugar + lemon butter, or heat up frozen berries and combine with the frozen Cool Whip.

For the peaches this is what I do:
I let a bag of frozen peaches thaw out a little, then I combine some brown sugar, butter, nutmeg and cinnamon to create a syrup, then I add the peaches and cook them in the syrup goodness. Combine this  with frozen Cool Whip and you will thank me later :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummm that looks amazing, I'm going to have to try this! I love nutella! Beautiful blog by the way, I was looking at your photos from the Bahamas and it was making me so jealous, looks like you had a great time. I can't wait to read more :) x- Berni

Kayla Christie said...

i remember having peach crepes at ur house a few times cooked by ur dad, those nutella ones look amazing though - i wish we had cool whip in australia

Unknown said...

divine.

Sarah said...

would you believe I've never had crepes before? I wanna try them so bad! And the peach ones sound so delicious!!

Breakfast at the Zemke's said...

Crepes are the best. In salt lake there's a little crepe and coffee shop, we actually went there tonight. They have dinner crepes too! SO GOOD!

P.S. I put only Nutella and whipped cream in my crepes.. I know I'm terrible.

Allyssa
breakfastatthezemkes.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

Oh man you have the best crepe recipe. Thanks for sharing! I remember the crepes you guys made for my bridal shower. Fun times :)

love, lowry said...

delish!